Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Ode to a Fly

Unfortunately, fly season is here.  It's not so much that there are flies swarming around everywhere all the time, but there always seems to be at least one or two trying to destroy your sanity whenever you sit down. I don't think there is anything much more annoying than a stupid fly landing on you every five seconds. Actually, I can think of one thing that is more annoying; a stupid fly landing on a baby that you just got to sleep and said fly waking said baby up. Yeah, I really almost lose it completely when that happens.  However, out of my desperation, I was inspired to write a poem, so I suppose something good can come from even the most annoying thing ever.

Here it goes.


Ode to a Fly
(Inspired by a true story)


I sit on the floor and gaze at the beautiful sky.
Thoughts flow 'til I shiver
Which makes my pen quiver
As the clouds in the Heavens roll by.

My pen hits my paper, and I let out a sigh.
My sonnet awaits,
But alas my fate
Was decidedly doomed by a fly.

He lands on my arm and I let out a cry.
I right then decided
He must be smited
And his decided doom was to die.

I planned my strategy, but this fiend was sly.
I tried slapping my arm
Which caused him no harm
And he flew somewhere out of my sight. 

 But he returned soon; my victory seemed nigh.
I swatted and flailed
But that again failed.
All my plans seemed to be going awry. 

Thrice is the charm, I'd give one more try,
But he flew to freedom
I couldn't impede him
So I bowed my head starting to cry.

The fly had bested me, I can not tell a lie.
I just couldn't stay 
So I went far away
Somewhere that insects were slightly more shy.

Now I sit on the floor by a beautiful tree.
Thoughts flow 'til I shiver
Which makes my pen quiver
Until lo and behold...a bee.



*Unfortunately no animals were harmed in the writing of this poem,

No comments:

Post a Comment